Health and Wellbeing
Avenue Primary Academy takes a whole school approach to promoting positive mental health which aims to create an open and positive culture that encourages discussion and understanding of mental health issues for our whole school community: pupils, staff and parents/carers. We believe we have a key role in promoting pupils’ positive mental health and helping to prevent mental health problems. We have a duty to help our pupils to succeed and reach their potential by equipping them with the knowledge and skills to support themselves to be mentally healthy and develop resilience to cope with life’s challenges. We also have a role to ensure that pupils learn about what they can do to maintain positive mental health, what affects their mental health, how they can help reduce the stigma surrounding mental health issues and where they can go if they need help and support.
Our aim is that, through our whole-school approach, our pupils will:
- Understand how to manage and express their feelings appropriately
- Learn and use a range of coping skills and strategies to self-soothe and manage their emotions in a healthy way
- Understand the value of positive mental health and feel able to talk openly with trusted adults about their problems without feeling any stigma
- Make informed decisions in order to improve their mental wellbeing
- Develop resilience by exploring new and existing interests through enrichment activities such as Genius Time and a range of clubs on offer
- Develop self-confidence and self-esteem
- Feel a sense of belonging and feel safe
- Receive support for their mental health and wellbeing
This webpage will have lots of information to support you. If you would like further support, please contact the school and ask to speak to Mrs. Cook.
Senior Mental Health Lead