At Avenue Primary Academy, all pupils are provided with a physical education not only appropriate to their needs, but one which extends and develops their interests and abilities in PE and raises standards. We believe that pupils should be given the opportunity to develop their physical competence and confidence, and their ability to perform in a wide range of activities. We promote positive attitudes in all pupils towards active and healthy lifestyles; including participation in fun, competitive and challenging activities. Through this, pupils will be able to discover and learn a variety of skills and develop interest and a commitment to lifelong physical activity.
PE is taught practically, with a focus on differentiation and competition to ensure that children meet all of the basic fundamental skills in the curriculum. The competitive element introduced in KS2 is to improve understanding of strategy and tactics while developing teamwork and enjoyment. We ensure that a wide variety of physical activities are taught to support all children.
The following skills are taught with a focus on the fundamental movement skills in EYFS and KS1, before the skills are applied to a game situation and finally used in a competitive environment in KS2.
- master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities
- perform dances using simple movement patterns
- dances using a range of movement patterns
- participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- play competitive games, modified where appropriate and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance
Within dance and gymnastics, the children learn how to move effectively focusing on the fundamentals before applying these to sequences and finally focusing on controlling the action.
Through our PE curriculum, all children experience mainstream sports that they can confidently continue with in secondary school. We also ensure all children are exposed to a variety of alternative sports such as lacrosse and badminton, that will further develop their understanding of fundamental movements and benefit their tactical understanding for sports. We believe our PE curriculum can lead to a lifelong engagement in sport and healthy lifestyles for our children because of the enjoyment and confidence they gain in sport at this young age.
Use the link below to view the PE curriculum overview.
Use the links below to view the the PE Road Maps.